THE CEO of the Jinnah restaurant chain has called on the district to “cash in” on its reputation as the Curry Capital of Britain as thousands tuck into flavoursome dishes for National Curry Week.
Businessman Saleem Akhtar said Bradford is the “only place that gets the fresh produce of all the herbs and spaces from the sub-continent” – the main factor of its success, he says.
Speaking of the variety of restaurants, Mr Akhtar said: “Our food has got to be the same as our brothers, sisters and wives cook at home. They expect that at the restaurant.
“We’ve been Curry Capital of the Year for the last six years. We’ve got people from all over the country coming to Bradford – from Birmingham, Sheffield.
“I’ve always said that we should cash in from the diners coming.
“We should have different types of activities around the city through the day. They can make an evening out of it.
“The food industry in Bradford is the biggest in the country.
“My uncle who came over in the 50s – he’s one of the biggest wholesalers now but he’s always been a quiet person.
“In St James Market 99 per cent of the wholesalers are of Kashmiri/Pakistan origin so they’re importing their coriander and chillis.
“We should cash in from this because it’s a very big industry as far as Bradford’s concerned.”
To mark the week, the T&A is looking at Trip Advisor’s guide to Bradford’s best Indian restaurants.
1. MyLahore, Great Horton Road
2. Bhajis n Beer, New Line, Greengates
3. Shimlas, Great Horton Road
4. Lahori Gate Restaurant
5. EastZEast, Manchester Road
6. Jinnah Bradford, The Gatehaus Leeds Road
7. Sultan Restaurant, Manningham Lane
8. Shama Bingley, Clarke House, Keighley Road
9. Shimla Spice Restaurant, Otley Road
10. Rajshahi, Bradford Road
11. The International, Morley Street
12. Cardamom, Main Street, Bingley
13. Sweet Centre Restaurant, Lumb Lane
14. Dhesi Grill, Lilycroft Road
15. Akbar’s, Leeds Road
16. The 3 Singhs, Sticker
17. Manzil Restaurant, Market Street, Thornton
18. Jinnah Bistro Saltaire, Bingley Road, Saltaire
19. Aagrah, Saltaire Road, Shipley
20. Mughals, Leeds Road